In a nutshell:
IDEO (Shanghai) is in search of a Senior Instructional Designer who acts as a key team member to drive the product development for IDEO’s growing corporate learning in China. We seek someone who thrives at the intersection of education, storytelling, design and technology.
You will be responsible for transforming IDEO’s breadth of knowledge on creativity, strategy, and design thinking into focused, learning experiences. You’ll work closely with your core team and beyond to write, design, and develop cutting-edge educational experiences.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
As we keep exploring what design can do next, we are excited when thinking about supporting countless individuals and organizations to deepen their own creative capabilities. This person will enable us to bring our existing offers and capability to the next level.
Once here you will:
Design and develop a portfolio of learning courses and experiences
Contribute to a team’s efforts in productizing impactful learning experiences, from researching and concept testing, to design, production, and delivery. Specifically, you will
- Connect with thought leaders across IDEO (and beyond!) to harvest and research stories and content, synthesize what you learn, and turn it all into a structured set of lessons and project-based activities.
- Use your instructional skills to design and develop unique learning experiences. Elements you will design/write include: video scripts, course outlines, interactive exercises, frameworks and tools, and activities.
- Design and manage evaluation, data capture, and analysis systems.
Become a key member on an intrapreneurially team and work collaboratively both in China and globally
- Contribute to how we will express the educational experience and brand visually and creatively.
- Develop content for marketing videos emails and advertisements/Adwords/social media
- Contribute to design research and user feedback sessions.
Core experience and mindset:
- 5 years + of experience in instructional/curriculum design and content development, focusing on adult learning (preferably corporate learning), in content areas such as leadership, creativity, innovation, strategy, design and design thinking
- Instructional design expertise. Understanding of pedagogy and instructional approaches, curriculum and tool design and assessments. Demonstrated work portfolio, turning content into engaging and powerful learning experiences.
- Strong writing and visual communication skills. Strong storytelling skills with a maker spirit are essential.
- Experienced in managing the production process, particularly in working with editors, producers and designers.
- Passion to design alternative learning experience with the intent to shift mindsets, and interest in delivering learning in an innovative format beyond traditional classroom teaching.
- Adaptable and comfortable in navigating ambiguity.
- Bilingual in Chinese and English
- Ability to and interest in facilitation
- Have a deep understanding of the China learning & development market, particularly at the senior executive level
- Track-record making cool, engaging content in different media formats (podcasts, films, activities, blogs, workshops etc).
- Familiarity with Design Thinking, Innovation, or Creativity topics.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard–but we balance this pace with playfulness, passion, and purpose. We make sure everyone at IDEO has time to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design of an individual’s career.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit a portfolio, resume and cover letter (yes, we read cover letters). We are looking to fill this role quickly!
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.